Create a Personal Fundraising Page
Refuge International has built a online fundraising campaign to help our volunteers reach out to their community of family, friends, coworkers, etc. and share their passion and dedication for helping people in underserved communities. All donations are tax-deductible, and donors will automatically receive a letter/receipt for their contribution.
Our goal is to tell the story of Refuge International and raise the funds necessary to make our projects possible. Funds raised on this site do not cover volunteer mission trip costs (we ask that you make that a personal expense). Rather, the funds you help raise on this site cover the expenses required to keep our programs running year round. These funds cover things like:
- teacher salaries at the school Refuge built in Sarstun
- equipment and medications that must be purchased for our mission trips at each location
- keeping the Sarstun ambulancha operating 24/7
...and more. Browse this website to learn more about the programs our organization supports on a daily basis.
Building your online fundraising page is easy! This guide will give you some tips, but feel free to reach out to us with any questions. Thank you for your support!
Building Your “Change The World” Fundraising Page
- Go to change.refugeinternational.com. Our site looks like this:
- Click on “Create A Fundraising Page” (see green arrow above).
- Enter your personal email address.
- Create a password (and type it in again, to confirm).
- Click “Create Account.”
- The site will walk you through the steps to create your fundraising page.
Tip: Make your page personal! You will have the opportunity to select which community of friends and family you want to reach out to. They want to hear why this is important to you!
Here’s an example of the page that you can create:
- The site will automatically create a URL specific to you. Use this to help friends and family find your page directly (or they can use the search tool on the site’s landing page.)
- Choose a profile picture of yourself.
- You will have the option to link this to your social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) so that you can keep your community updated on your Refuge mission.
- We strongly encourage you to tell your own story about why this is important to you. You can choose to use the summary we’ve provided but also use it as a starting point to tell your own story!
- Create a blog to keep your donors updated on your journey with Refuge.
- This will be the URL unique to your site (to help people find you).
- Specify how much money you are hoping to raise. (We ask our volunteers to try and raise at least $1,000.)
- Click “Sharing” to enter email addresses of your fundraising community (i.e. friends, family, etc.) (If you choose to use your Gmail contact list – you’ll have full control over the contacts your page is sent to.
- Write your own personal “ask.” Feel free to use the template we’ve provided to get you started!
- Keep it to 175-200 words
- Use the edit bar icons to Bold, Italicize, Underline text. You can also add pictures (Insert Image) and link to other web pages. We suggest including a link to the Refuge International website to make it easy for your donors to learn more about what we do. Make it fun to read but not too “busy.”
- Your donors will be able to post comments to your page, and you will be able to see the progress bar that details the amount of money you have raised. Your donors will get an automatic Thank You note from Deborah Bell, Executive Director thanking them for their donation and you will be able to create blog entries to keep your community updated on your fundraising progress and share stories of your entire journey with Refuge International.
Thank you for helping to make our mission possible and bringing the work of Refuge International to life!
¡Nos vemos pronto en Guatemala!